22 Apr 2013

Wife-like?

So thanks to all of you who read yesterdays post...I had the most views in one day...and now you all know ridiculously embarrassing things about me...great!

The other part of that prank was that I had to write some reasons on why I would make a good wife...well not going to lie felt like it was a little hard just to think of reasons without any direction; so I have looked in the Bible and have slightly adapted the chapter which talks about what a wife should be like...to what I could actually offer - You can find the original in Proverbs 31.

10 
A wife of noble character who can find?
    She is worth far more than rubies.
Her husband has full confidence in her
    and lacks nothing of value.
Not 100% sure I would class myself as having "noble" character, but I have a cheerful character. I am worth a diamond ring on my finger..! Hopefully my husband would not be materialistic and then he wouldn't miss it if we didn't have extra conveniences...but would value my creativity.        


12 
She brings him good, not harm,
    all the days of her life.
13 
She selects wool and flax
    and works with eager hands.
I would hope to bring my husband good, not trouble. However, I cannot guarantee I would collect wool or flax...I do like to collect little pebbles or silly postcards - and I like to keep busy...blogging...


14 

She is like the merchant ships,
    bringing her food from afar.
15 
She gets up while it is still night;
    she provides food for her family
    and portions for her female servants.
I do like to pick food up from the takeaway but I'm not sure you would consider that "afar" and it is rare that I would get up while it is still dark as I'm more of a night owl than a morning bird. Clearly I do not agree with the slave trade and so have no servants.

16 
She considers a field and buys it;
    out of her earnings she plants a vineyard.
17 
She sets about her work vigorously;
    her arms are strong for her tasks.
I have never bought a field, or house, or anything particularly expensive. I have bought holidays and various trips. I am also not blessed with the green fingers so planting anything turns to disaster...however I have successfully kept a hamster alive for over a year. I am enthusiastic about my work and it is safe to say I do have strong arms.

18 
She sees that her trading is profitable,
    and her lamp does not go out at night.
19 
In her hand she holds the distaff
    and grasps the spindle with her fingers.
Considering I do no trading, I have little/no profits and my lamp definitely does go out at night, generally around midnight. I have no idea what a distaff or spindle are so it is unlikely that I hold or grasp one.

20 
She opens her arms to the poor
    and extends her hands to the needy.
21 
When it snows, she has no fear for her household;
    for all of them are clothed in scarlet.
22 
She makes coverings for her bed;
    she is clothed in fine linen and purple.
I do like to stop and talk to homeless people and have made a friend out of the big issue lady outside the Lee Green Sainsburys. When it snows I have no fear, apart from when I attempt the icy stairs outside my house. Pretty sure that purple isn't my colour - prefer blues and yellow...and I clearly don't make my bed linen.

23 
Her husband is respected at the city gate,
    where he takes his seat among the elders of the land.
24 
She makes linen garments and sells them,
    and supplies the merchants with sashes.
25 
She is clothed with strength and dignity;
    she can laugh at the days to come.
If my husband spent his whole day sitting at a gate I would not be happy. I do not make any clothes to sell or wear...and I have never been able to successfully customise clothing. Not sure anyone would describe me as someone of dignity...but I do laugh, generally at myself. 

26 
She speaks with wisdom,
    and faithful instruction is on her tongue.
27 
She watches over the affairs of her household
    and does not eat the bread of idleness.
I speak. A lot. Probably a lot without wisdom, occasionally with. I do watch over the house - make sure Beth has her fair share of washing up and that we have enough loo roll. I only eat Hovis Best of Both.

28 
Her children arise and call her blessed;
    her husband also, and he praises her:
29 
‘Many women do noble things,
    but you surpass them all.’
30 
Charm is deceptive, and beauty is fleeting;
    but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised.
I cannot recall the young people I work with ever calling me "blessed"...that't not really their style. Not going to lie - I am looking for a husband who would totally say I was the best. I do fear the Lord.

This passage doesn't give room for me to advertise my impressive dance or humming abilities. Nor does it mention about creating fun - also a talent I possess. 

So yes - I could be a wife of potentially noble character (with a few exciting extras!)

31 

No comments:

Post a Comment