5 Jun 2013

Questions Part 4

I had a good number of questions come in so continuing in this little series is a question from Josh Maynard - If you had to go on a dinner date with anyone (living or dead - but not Jesus!) who would it be? And why

It's a solid question and one which I've had to think about for a few days. 

But I have decided that if I had to choose one person it would be....



Martin Luther King Jnr


There are 3 main reasons for wanting to meet/talk to him:

#1. He is a hero of mine because of his ability to... 
  • have a godly vision, 
  • communicate it clearly enough to inspire thousands of people to join him,
  • persevere despite huge opposition and death threats
  • keep the bigger picture in mind

#2. I'd want to ask him...

  • How did God tell you that equality was what he wanted you to use your life campaigning for?
  • How did you keep going in the face of extreme persecution?
  • What did you do in your life to prepare you for everything that happened?

#3. I'd want to absorb from him his wisdom on...
  • Forgiveness
  • Perseverance
  • The power of God
  • Equality
MLK said a lot of powerful things that have challenged me on many occasions - here are a few of my favourites.

"We must develop and maintain the capacity to forgive. He who is devoid of the power to forgive is devoid of the power to love. There is some good in the worst of us and some evil in the best of us. When we discover this, we are less prone to hate our enemies."

"I look to a day when people will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character."

"Life's most persistent and urgent question is, 'What are you doing for others?"

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."

"[In the story of the Good Samaritan in the Bible] The first question which the priest and the Levite asked was: 'If I stop to help this man, what will happen to me?' But... the good Samaritan reversed the question: 'If I do not stop to help this man, what will happen to him?"



I cannot help but be moved by someone who was treated so badly and yet loved so deeply. 


No comments:

Post a Comment