11 Mar 2014

Becoming a follower

So it's been a week since my last post and I just feel like loads has happened. It feels far longer than 7 days. I wanted to give an overview of what's been going on and a couple lessons learnt.

This week has seen the commencement of 40 Acts which I wrote about in my last post - it's an opportunity to live Lent generously, to think of others and bless them rather than try to legalistically give something up. So far I have been challenged to:

  • Start a journal with a post about all the things I am thankful for
  • Begin a generosity jar (I used a Loyd Grossman jar and tweeted him about what I was doing and it started a little convo about my favourite Loyd Grossman sauces! Random)
  • Use the gifts I have to bless someone (I used my gift of encouragement to praise some people)
  • Connect with people I come into contact with on a regular basis - I started a chat with the builders opposite
  • Actively be thankful - I went and said thank you to my train driver on the way to work
  • and today's was to think about the spheres of influence you have and share something positive with one of them...I'm hoping this post will count!
I am loving the challenges to think more, have space to reflect and then actively do something positive. Tomorrows challenge is to connect with someone properly. Like not through a random text or email but actually talk to them. My friend Rachel over at Dreaming of the Country has already shot-gunned a call from me! (But let me know if you want one too!)

As well as that this week I went to this incredible event called "WEDAY" at Wembley Arena. I was taking kids from work to what had been described to me as a "youth empowerment event". However, it was incredible. Some phenomenal speakers came and spoke to kids about being positive change in their communities - Al Gore, Spencer West, Malala Yousafzai, Martine Wright and Richard Branson. As well as some epic performances from artists like Jennifer Hudson, Dizzie Rascal and Ellie Goulding. My highlight was definitely listening to Malala speak - she was incredible. For someone who has gone through the kid of experiences she has and to still be so articulate about the issues surrounding education for all, I was mindblown (and in tears!) Also getting to be in the same room as Prince Harry was pretty epic!


On Saturday we had our XLP Lewisham Arts Showcase Rehearsal which was amazing as usual - so fantastic to see young people encouraging and helping each other to improve. This Saturday for the real deal is going to be insanely good. (check it out here)

Then on Sunday it was SUCH A BEAUTIFUL day! I spent the day surrounded by friends, enjoying the sun, being very chilled. Loved it. 

Last but not least - you may or may not know that I recently have joined a netball team with the intention of making some new friends as well as putting those competitive Allen genes to good use. Its a team of 9 strangers who have all signed up just to play and make new friends - and we are doing well! Played 3, won 3! 

But it's kind of strange. I noticed it this evening; I am so used to being in charge that I can get a little bossy. I have posted in the past about how I have often found myself in positions of leadership without really knowing how it happened. But I am now in a place where actually I need to be reminded of how to be a good follower. I am by no means the best player on the team, or the most vocal (surprisingly!), and it is quite a challenge to step back and let others take control. But if I am trying to be more like Jesus and he says that he did not come to be served, but to serve (Mark 10:45) 

Think I'm still at the start of this journey...watch this space!

No comments:

Post a Comment